Saturday 19 September 2009

Sugababes - Amelle quits

So it appears that Amelle has quit the Sugababes.

Not sure if anyone noticed, but just this week, previous member Siobhan Donaghy told ponystep that Keisha made her life a "living hell" when she was in the band - prompting her to leave during a promotional trip in Japan.
With Amelle quitting (and possibly being replaced by Jade Ewen!?) in the light of a bust-up with Keisha it seems pretty clear that there is a big problem in the band. That being Keisha.

Now the thing is, the Sugababes used to be good - their first few albums were realllllly good. I remember listening to Freak Like Me in the car when visiting my dad in Sunderland and thinking "who is this? what - the Sugababes?!" And from then on I kind of liked them.

But then it all went a bit tits up. As soon as Mutya left it felt as if they sold out a little bit. The music became suddenly very Cathy Dennis - of course, no bad thing in my opinion, but not the kind of sound that the Sugababes built their success on.

So, with Amelle quitting, it really is worth questioning whether or not the band should carry on at all. Their music is fine, like... ok. I probably wouldn't choose to listen to it but I wouldn't be offended if someone else put it on.

I would like to be proved wrong, but with enough members now quitting to form their own band (OMG - Siobhan, Mutya and Amelle! AMAZE), Keisha should probably start questioning her behaviour and really, they should go separate ways.

I don't think the pop music scene would be particularly lost without them.

2 comments:

  1. I like the motherly tone of this post. "listen up, young lady...."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed. Though I've hated them since Siobhan left. Saying this 'Three' had some good song on it. Namely 'Freak Like Me' and 'Stronger'.

    ReplyDelete