Wednesday 7 October 2009

Sophie Ellis Bextor - new material January 2010

Sophie Ellis Bextor is not someone who I can I be particularly balanced on.

I am a big fan, like huge, like when I was at school I tried to get everyone to know who she was by attempting to play Murder on the Dancefloor at a charity fashion show. No one liked it. We played Steal My Sunshine instead.

I digress – as I am such a fan, I was tentatively pleased when she announced on Twitter that January 2010 would see her comeback.

Tentative because she has done this many times before.

Her last single, Heartbreak Make Me a Dancer with the Freemasons was gaygaygay great. Although it only made it to the top 20, it hung around in the top 40 for nearly 2 months and was her biggest chart success since Murder on the Dancefloor.

Rumour has it that there will be a second Freemasons song on her fourth solo album, as well as collaborative songs with Metronomy, Calvin Harris and Richard X among others.

But here is the problem.

Despite the big collaborations, her previous success (her first album, Read My Lips, sold over a million copies) and her working with Rimmel, it is not likely that her next offering will set the charts on fire.

Sadly for her and for the fans that have bothered to hang around, she has simply taken too long to make her albums and as such, many people have lost interest.

She could have released a single straight after the Freemasons song, when her profile was at the biggest it has been for some time. She could have released it now, before the Christmas rush when this year everyone will be talking about Susan Boyle and the new X Factor winner. But instead, January it is. A full seven months after her last single release. I'm a fan and I can honestly not name one thing that she has done since then. Oh she went to Russia.

I am going to go back to my original point here, I love her. Like LOVE her and her music, but why can she not just release a damn song?! Surely one of these songs she has recorded is good enough? Even if the album is not done, she could release two singles just to keep her profile high.

Fingers crossed for a big hit. I think it sounds like their could be potential dynamite on the album. But if it doesn't go down well, I think this is the end of the road for Ms Ellis Bextor. Still, as has been pointed out before, she would make a lovely TV presenter. But that's not really the point is it.

If Sophie ever reads this, I TOTALS love you and am probably wrong anyway. Let's hang out some time yeah?

3 comments:

  1. I can relate to your post totally. I'm a big fan. And i've done EVERY POSSIBLE THING to promote Sophie unofficially - that includes playing her music at every party, gathering, fashion too (yes i did it too) and randomly when my friends and family are around. Some of them really liked her songs. Some of them seem to despise her voice. I don't care, so long as people get to know her.. but the problem is she takes so much time between albums that people tend to forget all about her existance. I made a post recently about this on my blog as well. There are lots of unhappy fans like us. We love Sophie, but we're unhappy... if only she would read all this!
    Anywho, if you want up-to-date info about Sophie, you're welcome to visit my blog dedicated to her... Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. she's just too cheap to pay for a nanny

    ReplyDelete
  3. The collaborations sound good. Another problem I find is that girls really don't like her. In fact I can't name one of my girrrrls that when I've mentioned her have said 'Oh yeah I really like Sophie' etc etc. However my mom's friend loved her first album so maybe she's more popular with older women?

    ReplyDelete